Kalpana Chawla: a name that doesn’t need any introduction.
Born in Karnal, India, Kalpana was just an ordinary girl child who liked to draw pictures of airplanes. With her extraordinary courage and work ethic, however, she grew up to become not only the first female of Indian origin to go to space, but also a source of inspiration for millions of young dreamers like her. Today, on the death anniversary of this legendary astronaut, let’s revisit some of her most iconic quotes that persuaded many to conquer their dreams and strive on.
- “You are just your intelligence.”
- “When you look at the stars and the galaxy, you feel that you are not just from any particular piece of land, but from the solar system.”
- “There are so many people who are arguing or fighting over issues which don’t have much relevance. We must all realise it is not worth it.”
- “You must enjoy the journey because whether or not you get there, you must have fun on the way.”
- “The journey matters as much as the goal.”
- “If you want to do something, what does it matter where you are ranked?”
- “The quickest way may not necessarily be the best.”
- “Material interests are not the only guiding light.”
- “The path from dreams to success does exist. May you have the vision to find it, the courage to get on to it, and the perseverance to follow it.”
- “Do something because you really want to do it. If you’re doing it just for the goal and don’t enjoy the path, then I think you’re cheating yourself.”
From Haryana to space, her journey is notable and inspiring in equal measure. In a country where marriage was, probably still is, widely considered the summit of ambition for all women, Kalpana Chawla chose to dream high and fly high. In more ways than one, that is a bigger achievement than the 30 days, 14 hours and 54 minutes that she spent in space.